Thursday, September 1, 2011

25 years of Change Making: What CASA/CSL Means to You by Celina Gonzalez

Hi, my name is Celina Gonzalez and I am a senior at USD. I have been fortunate enough to be adopted into the USD CASA/CSL family for the past three years. Without the support and the investment CASA has in their students to promote their personal growth while serving the community, I would not be standing where I am right now. Constantly searching for ways to do more, to work in the community, and advocate for equality in education, CASA has supported me throughout my college journey.

Mahatma Ghandi stated, “Be the change you want to see in the world.” CASA/CSL has nurtured my growth through self-improvement via exploration to find purpose in what I do and a connection to the world. Participating in a community of advocacy, communication, and action through service has provided me a new understanding of service, how I may contribute to a greater cause, but also how to receive.

Tutoring students and collaborating to develop curriculum for the Linda Vista Bayside Community Center Academic Club at Carson Elementary allows students to be exposed to and have access to a quality education. I am looking forward to working alongside community partners and CASA members to provide support for high school students and parents while educating them about post high school options through a newly developing program at Bayside Community Center. The new program is called Mission: Possible. Finally, I am ecstatic to participate in the NOLA leadership and immersion trip this year! I have never traveled to New Orleans or participated in a community immersion trip and I cannot wait for all the adventures to come working alongside genuine and good-hearted fellow CASA members and the New Orleans community.

In telling you my experiences with the CASA/CSL family I invite you to be a part of this wonderful family. Please join us in learning more about yourself as well as supporting an awesome community.

No comments:

Post a Comment